Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 15

Morning weight 241.

Breakfast was a fried egg, 3 B&S sausage (I'm a sausage fanatic, even bad sausage like B&S) toast & coffee.
Packed lunch is a bowl of Z-P soup (hey, it's good!)

Thanks Jen for the comment yesterday! I started to reply, then thought I'd just post my thoughts here.

I did WW years ago... like 20 years ago! Yikes! Did pretty good with it too for the few months I kept it up. Anyway, I seem to recall similar advice. (Jen mentioned that WW advises clients to not weigh themselves in between weekly weigh-ins because daily fluctuations could be discouraging to folks expecting a continual loss.) If my posts seem a bit dramatic in this regard, well, I probably am playing it up just a touch. I expect daily fluctuations, but am surprised at the directions they occur, not if. The scientist in me is rather curious about the correlation between when I'm eating and what my weight is. I find it interesting that after a down day, I typically won't lose anything, but after the following feast day, I'll have dropped a pound or two. A part of me is already considering, if this observed trend keeps up, modifying ADF to something like AMF - alternate meal fasting. Rather than skip eating for a complete day, just alternate meals: breakfast, dinner, lunch, breakfast..., etc. If, ultimately, the goal is to reduce caloric intake, (and in my case, also modify my diet to smaller portions and healthier food choices) then that could still work if you did it 7 days a week.

Of course, after having started to form those ideas... I come off a famine day losing 3 lbs! Haha! Individual data points are totally nuts!

So, while I started this blog as a typical diet journal and a tool to help my resolve, it's also sorta become a lab notebook on my current dieting attempt.

1 comment:

The Atomic Fruitbat said...

From Day 1 to Day 15, you're down 13 pounds... that's great! I keep meaning to comment here, but I don't 'cause I don't know that I have that much to say.

However, re: individual data points, I found that keeping a spreadsheet (I have one on Google Docs) with all the weigh-in results helps me keep the weird fluctuations in perspective.

As far as losing weight on feast days and holding steady on famine days, I would probably attribute that to one thing: your intestines.

At the risk of being horribly indelicate, in my experience, without "new food" coming in from the top of the GI tract, there's not so much pressure to get rid of the old food from the other end. This translates into carrying around extra weight from food you ate the day before. Once you get rid of it, your weight drops.

Also, I've discovered that my scale is wildly inconsistent, which might be part of the effect as well. If you haven't already, you might try stepping on and off the scale three or four times, and seeing how much it varies. (I decided to always use the lowest reported weight for consistency's sake, but you could choose the highest, or the average, or whatever.)

But congratulations on your success so far! You've done two weeks now!