Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 5

Famine day #3. Not too worried about it really.

Morning weight @ 246 lbs.

So I didn't lose anything from famine day 2, but lost 2 lbs from feasting. Hmmm. The human body is weird and amazing. After having the chowder last night, I munched on some grilled kielbasa that S had done for herself and her folks. And I'm not talking a bite or two... I ate probably a friggin' half a pound or more of the stuff as little nibbles between 7 and 10 PM. So much for a battle of will.

I'm not really doing all that well, compared to others, with sticking to this process. On both my famine days so far, I've caved and eaten salad, which is allowable, but not as strict as a few folks I've read about have done. My willpower is shit, and I've always known it. I'd hoped I'd be as strong as those other folks. Maybe I still can be. I know that if the weight keeps coming off, it will stiffen my resolve. In diets past, I've found strength in myself as the weight dropped. I've just always lacked the will to keep those diets going. I don't really consider this a diet, per se, as I'm continuing to eat all the regular (read delicious) food I normally would. I'm just skipping or postponing eating by a day on alternate days. I've only skimmed a couple of blogs about this plan, and they both made it a point to set a goal for doing it for 21 days. I'm afraid of setting that same goal however since I always seem to fall off a diet after 3 or 4 weeks. So instead, I'm gonna set a goal date for Labor Day. That'd be something I've never done before, follow a diet/eating/whatever plan for 10 straight weeks.

I admit that I'm not exactly full of confidence that I can stick to this ADF (alternate day fasting - I just learned this term yesterday) plan all the way through. The actual DF part, that is. There does seem to be some consensus that days, even meals, are flexible. The main point is to reduce calorie intake by postponing eating for stretches at a time. So while the plan is commonly referred to ADF, fasting for a complete day is not exactly set in stone and the ADF cops won't bust down your door and shoot your dogs if you have some crackers and cheese on a Wednesday night. That, I think I can do. If it's supposed to be a famine day and I completely cave in and scarf down a hot dog or something, I'll just go extra light on the meals the following feast day, or even skip a meal entirely. (I still think of eating 3-squares a day. I know a lot of nutritionists say it's better to graze all day on healthy food than sit down to 3 full meals. But I was raised on 3-squares and it's how I frame the day.) So, we'll see. My battle of will, will actually be following this plan for another 9 weeks. Wish me strength.

1 comment:

Jenny B said...

Actually, I've noticed the delayed-reaction thing with respect to fasting/feasting too. I expect to be cranky and irritable on my fasting days, but I regularly find that on those days I'm actually fine. It's the days when I DO eat that I get sort of snappish.

Seems like I noticed the same thing after pulling all-nighters in college, too. The day after the all-nighter I wouldn't really feel it, but the NEXT day (even after a presumably good night's sleep) I'd be loopy and showing signs of sleep deprivation.

All I can figure is that the activity of one day (at least with me) doesn't hit the newsstand in my body until the next morning. ;)